Wednesday, May 11, 2011

During the Southwest Trip

So, I already been to my trip to the Southwest. While I was there, I went to a few places.
I first went to Grand Canyon National Park in northwestern Arizona, where I also saw the Colorado River. In the Grand Canyon, there were lots of interesting things. Grand Canyon National Park is one of the oldest national parks. The Grand Canyon is divided into 2 parts. The North Rim and the South Rim. The North Rim is over 8,000 and the South Rim is over 7,000 feet above sea level. It is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. There are lots of plateaus and rocky cliffs and mountains. The elevations are dangerous and strenuous, meaning a very vigorous and forceful effort to get up. The Grand Canyon is an outstanding place.
While I was there, as you heard, I also went to the Colorado River. In Mojave, it is 'Aha Kwahwat, and in Spanish it is Río Colorado. Meaning "colored red" the Colorado River is 1,450 miles long. It covers 7 states in the U.S. including California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and Texas. It is famous for whitewater rafting too. I think the Colorado River is great.
I next went to Monument Valley Tribal Park in northeast Arizona. In Navajo, it is Tsé Biiʼ Ndzisgaii, meaning "Valley of the Rocks". The entrance of the tribal park is in Utah. Also known as Navajo Tribal Park, the tribal park is where the Navajos have lived for a long time. There are lots of slitstone, buttes, and plateaus. The rocks got its color from iron oxide. The place is so cool! I learned a lot about the Navajos.
Next, I went to White Sands National Monument. White Sands is west of Alamogoro, New Mexico, which is in the southwestern part of New Mexico. There are lots of white sands and gypsum crystals. A cool thing is the wind piles the sand into one pile and the hill moves slowly to the side, and because of gravity, the hills get steep and continue moving. The vast desert and mountain ranges are unusual and magical.
Last, but not least, I went to Houston, Texas. Houston is the 4th populous city in the nation (after New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago) and the 5th largest metropolitan area in the United States. It leads in health care and oil and is good in energy, aeronautics, transportation, and manufacturing.
I had a great time in the Southwest. So, this was my 2nd journal. Hope you liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment